Author Archives: Hennepin History Museum

About Hennepin History Museum

Hennepin History Museum preserves and shares the story of Hennepin County, Minnesota. Located in the historic Whittier neighborhood of Minneapolis, we offer exhibitions, a research library, and public programs and events for visitors of all ages. Your history. Your museum.

A Long Tradition of Medical Innovation: The Artificial Limb Industry in Hennepin County

 

2018.0520.347

Image from HHM Collections

Minnesota’s booming medical device industry can trace its roots to artificial limbs. Beginning in the second half of the nineteenth century, the Twin Cities became a hub of prosthetics companies. The industry in Hennepin County initially sprang up to accommodate local patrons but eventually became the leading artificial limb manufacturer in the United States.  

The need for prosthesis manufacturing companies in Minneapolis arose as it grew into the flour milling capital of the world. Injuries caused by machinery, falling debris, and even the occasional fire, often resulted in limb amputation of flour mill employees. The rising number of amputations necessitated an industry where prostheses could be designed, manufactured, and improved. Northwestern Artificial Limb Company was founded in 1860, making it one of the first prosthetics firms in Minneapolis. Northwestern manufactured the limb seen above, which is held in the collection at Hennepin History Museum. 

It was not long before several other companies sprang up and created an entire industry. With the field of prosthetics wellestablished in Minneapolis, it is not surprising that when the nation began to see an increase in traumatic injuries, it turned to the Twin Cities. The years after the Civil War saw a large demand for artificial limbs from veterans. Then the expansion of the rail system and railroad workers’ injuries created the next major demand for prostheses. This was followed by World War I, which yet again sent soldiers home missing limbs. When automobiles and the inevitable rise in automobile accidents created another increase in severe injuries, Minneapolis was already a leader in the field and was producing artificial limbs for the whole country.  

Hennepin County remains one of the largest producers of artificial limbs in the United States. Some of the original companies still exist today. The Winkley Artificial Limb Company (pictured below) was incorporated in 1889, and five generations later the company is still family owned and operated as Winkley Orthotics and Prosthetics. Boasting a long history that spans nearly 160 years, the local prosthetics industry continues to innovate the field to this day.  

BUI-2.2-OW-P2-blog

Image from HHM Archives

 

Written by Alyssa Thiede 

Sources: 

“Around the City,” Minneapolis Tribune, March 15, 1889. Star Tribune Archive.  

“Minneapolis Supplies World with Artificial Limbs,” Minneapolis Tribune, June 29, 1902. Star Tribune Archive. 

Fuller, Jim. “Replacing the Irreplaceable: Twin Cities is a Center for Artificial Arms and Legs,” Star Tribune, April 4, 1991. Star Tribune Archive. 

 

This publication was made possible in part by the people of Minnesota through a grant funded by an appropriation to the Minnesota Historical Society from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund. Any views, findings, opinions, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of the State of Minnesota, the Minnesota Historical Society, or the Minnesota Historic Resources Advisory Committee.

Print

Advertisements

Jerry Sears: A Story of Slavery in Minnesota

Usually the first location that comes to mind when thinking about topic of slavery is the southern United States. However, Minnesota, “the Star of the North,” has a long and dark history as part of the nation’s greatest shame. The most infamous case of slavery in the Minnesota Territory came with the landmark Supreme Court case Dred Scott vs. Sandford, in 1857. Dred and Harriet Scott sued for their freedom as they had been brought as slaves to the Minnesota Territory which had been designated as “free” under the Missouri Compromise in 1820. The Scotts’ lost their case on the basis that the Court claimed that Scott was not a “citizen,” as African Americans could not be “citizens” as defined by the Constitution, thus ruling the case itself was invalid. Despite the loss, Dred Scott’s case acted as a catalyst for the recognition of the presence of enslaved people in Minnesota. 

Fort Snelling, where the Scott’s lived for several years, was built and operated by the hands of over a hundred enslaved people between the late 1820s and the early 1850s. Black history at Fort Snelling did not end with the Civil War, rather it continued with the 25th Infantry, which was one of the first segregated military regiments in the country. Despite these landmarks in African-American history in Minnesota some stories remain lesser known. 

In 1858, Richard Junius Mendenhall, a member of a North Carolina planter elite family, relocated his new wife, Abby and himself to Hennepin County on April 25, 1858, just two weeks before Minnesota achieved statehood and entered the Union as a free state. Mendenhall. Mendenhall and his wife Abby were prominent members of the Quaker, Society of Friends, in Minneapolis. Abby pursued her own endeavors helping unmarried women through the Bethany HomeMeanwhile, Mr. Mendenhall began a land agency with associate Cyrus Beede. Just weeks after the Dred Scott decision, Mendenhall began promoting his business to his Southern friends. In these advertisements he listed some of the most prominent North Carolinian slave holders who had purchased land in Minnesota. He used their ownership of human capital, as well as his own family history, as a selling point for his business enterprise.  

As it turns out, Richard and Abby Mendenhall had not arrived in Minnesota alone. With them, Richard had brought a young African American boy, about seven years old, named Jeremiah “Jerry” Sears. Jerry was reportedly the son of Patsey Sears, a freedwoman who had once been enslaved by Mendenhall’s uncleIn Mendenhall’s own journal he refers briefly to Jerry and his arrival in Minnesota, describing Jerry as “a child or boy, Jerry Mendenhall, who formerly belonged to Elisha Mendenhall.” As Jerry had been born before his mother’s emancipation he remained enslaved and acted as a de facto slave once in the “free” state of Minnesota. 

B 55.45 med

Jeremiah Sears. Image from HHM Archives

 Jerry was documented as living in with the Mendenhall family in the 1860 United States Census. He is listed simply as “Jerry” and is given no surname. This innately dehumanizes him and restricts his identity. One must also take into account that he had been forcibly removed from his mother and taken half-way across the country against his will. Also, at the age of ten, he was not enrolled in school further highlighting his continued treatment as a slave under Mendenhall’s authority. Upon his arrival, Jerry was photographed, and an article was run in the local newspaper calling him the “first negro in Minnesota.” This claim is clearly undermined by the multiple well-documented cases of people of African descent in the area, including a landmark Supreme Court case which had occurred only a year earlier. Regardless, Mendenhall utilized his connections to wealthy southern slaveholders and his own position as a de facto slaveholder to promote his business and personal reputation. Following the conclusion of the Civil War, Mendenhall continued to profit from his business endeavors and was rewarded for his position as an esteemed member of the community by being appointed president of the first state bank.  

Jerry Sears, on the other hand, disappears from the records after the Civil War. We may never know his fate. It is possible that he took advantage of growing opportunities in the post-war era and set off to start his own life changed his name. Alternatively, he may have succumbed to illness at a young age, as mortality rates for children at the time were exceptionally high compared to today. Despite the uncertainty about Jerry’s life, his story stands as a testament to Minnesota’s long and complicated relationship with slavery. A history which we continue to reckon with today. 

 

Author: Ashley Fischer is the Undertold Stories Intern at Hennepin History Museum. She recently earned a bachelor’s degree in English and History from the University of Minnesota, with a focus on literary criticism and 19th century American history. 

Sources: 

Lehman, Christopher P. “Slaveholder Investment in Territorial Minnesota.” Minnesota History, 2017, 264-74. Accessed May 9, 2019. http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistoryMagazine/articles/65/v65i07p264-274.pdf. 

Prather, Shannon. “Fort Snelling Story Widens with Stories of Slavery.” Star Tribune. August 1, 2018. Accessed May 9, 2019. http://www.startribune.com/fort-snelling-story-widens-with-slave-dwelling-project-african-american-cooking-events/489791301/. 

Midwest Business Turned Global Conglomerate: The Local Roots of Cargill

2018.0520.191.JPG

Image from HHM Collections

This simple Cargill feed sack in the collection at Hennepin History Museum represents the success story of a local business. Today, Cargill is the largest privately held corporation in the United States, but the conglomerate traces its roots to the Midwest. The Minnetonka-based corporation still buys, sells, and distributes grain just as they did in the beginning. However, in the second half of the twentieth century, Cargill became heavily diversified and expanded into the global market. Given Cargill’s long history, which now spans over 150 years, it is important to remember the company’s origins. 

In 1865, William W. Cargill founded his company when he purchased a grain warehouse in Iowa. In 1870, after Cargill’s brothers had joined the business, he moved his headquarters to Albert Lea, Minnesota. Just five years later, Cargill moved again to La Crosse, Wisconsin. By 1885, Cargill operated over 100 grain elevators around the Midwest. In 1890, Cargill Elevator Company was incorporated in Minneapolis, and by 1912 all of Cargill’s enterprises would be consolidated under that name. 

The Cargill family was one of the earliest to recognize the potential for a wheat economy in the region. They also saw the importance of international export very early on. In 1878, they exported 80,000 bushels of wheat to England. This transaction was considered the first significant export of grain from Minnesota. 

Today, Cargill operates in over seventy countries worldwide. Their portfolio has expanded to include a wide array of products and services, although their focus remains in agricultural commodities. Despite continuous growth and transformation, Cargill it is still a family business. For 115 of their 150-year history, a Cargill descendant has been in charge, and today the family owns 90% of the business. The company remains proud of its modest beginnings in the Midwest which created the foundation for immense success.  

 

Written by Alyssa Thiede 

Sources: 

Brown, Curt. “Digging Up Food Giant’s Humble Roots,” Star Tribune, February 22, 2015. Star Tribune Archive. 

Larson, Don. Land of the Giants: A History of Minnesota Business. Minneapolis: Dorn Books, 1979. 

Work, John L. Cargill Beginnings…an Account of Early Years. Minneapolis: Cargill, Inc., 1965. 

 

This publication was made possible in part by the people of Minnesota through a grant funded by an appropriation to the Minnesota Historical Society from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund. Any views, findings, opinions, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of the State of Minnesota, the Minnesota Historical Society, or the Minnesota Historic Resources Advisory Committee.

Print

Knock on Weavewood

2018.0520.056a-b

Image from HHM Collections

Hennepin County resident Howard H. Thompson innovated wooden dishware. After founding Weavewood Inc. in 1947, he worked with chemists to develop a manufacturing process that applied a resin to his first prototype, a wooden bowl. This new process made the wood non-absorbent. This development enabled Weavewood products could be used in restaurants. At the time, wooden dishware had been banned for commercial use because the material did not meet local sanitation guidelines. Thompson’s products did meet those guidelines and could soon be found in numerous restaurants and retail stores. 

The platter that can be seen above, from the collection at Hennepin History Museum, is one of the products that was introduced after the initial bowl. The company would go on to develop an entire line of products in a variety of styles and woods. The platter above is made from walnut and came with a plastic lid. The original label is still attached to the product which boasts that in addition to being dishwasher-safe, it is also “virtually unbreakable.”  

Thompson’s patent on his manufacturing process eventually expired, which meant that anyone could mass-produce similar products. Unfortunately, the company ultimately went out of business and closed its factory in Golden Valley. However, if you’re interested in getting your hands on an original, you can still purchase vintage woven-wood bowls, dishes, and plates that bear the Weavewood name online. 

 

Written by Alyssa Thiede 

Sources: 

“Howard H. Thompson, Weavewood Founder, Dies,” Star Tribune, April 15, 1991. Star Tribune Archive. 

Thompson, Howard H. Method of Molding Dishlike Articles. U.S. Patent 2,592,080 filed June 6, 1947, and issued April 8, 1952. 

 

This publication was made possible in part by the people of Minnesota through a grant funded by an appropriation to the Minnesota Historical Society from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund. Any views, findings, opinions, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of the State of Minnesota, the Minnesota Historical Society, or the Minnesota Historic Resources Advisory Committee.

Print

The Friendly Beer with the Friendly Flavor: Grain Belt Beer

2018.0520.336.JPG

Image from HHM Collections

Grain Belt is Minnesota’s best-known beer. The brand has endured a tumultuous history that spans over 125 years, but still has a loyal customer base in the upper Midwest, especially in Hennepin County. The collection at the Museum includes Grain Belt memorabilia, like the drink tray seen above, and the electric bar sign seen below. The local favorite has proven it’s not going anywhere and a look back on Grain Belt’s past sheds light on what it had to overcome to achieve such longevity. 

2018.0520.340

Image from HHM Collections

Grain Belt traces their roots back to 1890, when the Minneapolis Brewing and Malting Company was incorporated. The company was formed through the consolidation of four breweries in the Twin Cities. In 1891, they built themselves an enormous new brewery in Northeast Minneapolis and installed in it the most modern equipment available. By 1893, they shortened their name to Minneapolis Brewing Company. The same year they introduced a beer called Golden Grain Belt Old Lager and it quickly became a best seller.  

During Prohibition, the brewery tried to stay afloat by producing near beer, but ultimately was forced to close its doors in 1929. When Prohibition was repealed in 1933, Grain Belt started production once again. This is when they coined the slogan “the friendly beer with the friendly flavor.” The brewery became even more popular than before and maintained their success for the following decades. Sales began to lag in the early fifties, so the brewery introduced a new formulation they called Grain Belt Premium. In just a few years Grain Belt Premium had become the flagship of the company and in 1967 the company officially changed its name to Grain Belt Breweries 

Unfortunately, the company once again suffered from low sales, and the Grain Belt brewery closed its door forever in 1975. After being sold to local businessman Irwin Jacobs, Grain Belt was then acquired by the G. Heileman Brewing Company of Wisconsin, who also owned Grain Belt’s largest competitor, Schmidt. This was nearly the demise of Grain Belt. Heileman ceased nearly all advertising and promotion of Grain Belt, in favor of Schmidt. 

Grain Belt managed to withstand this near-death experience after the Minnesota Brewing Company acquired the rights to Grain Belt’s labels in 1991. Despite achieving moderate success, sales once again began to suffer, and Minnesota Brewing went out of business in 2001. However, Grain Belt’s story wasn’t over yet. In 2002 the August Schell Brewing Company of New Ulm began brewing Grain Belt. The beer experienced a resurgence, and today has become a permanent fixture. 

Today, Grain Belt can be proud that it survived such an uncertain journey. Though the Grain Belt Brewery is now an office building, it still stands as a landmark of a beloved beer that persevered against all odds, as does the renovated and newly relit landmark Grain Belt sign that shines above the Mississippi River, standing as an enduring tribute to the local favorite. 

 

Written by Alyssa Thiede 

Sources: 

“Brewer Plans Name Change,” Minneapolis Tribune, April 1, 1967. Star Tribune Archive. 

Feyder, Susan. “Shell’s Game,” Star Tribune, January 15, 2003. Star Tribune Archive. 

Kennedy, Tony. “A Regional Brand’s Boisterous Century,” Star Tribune, August 30, 1993. Star Tribune Archive. 

http://startribune.newspapers.com/image/180260014 

 

This publication was made possible in part by the people of Minnesota through a grant funded by an appropriation to the Minnesota Historical Society from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund. Any views, findings, opinions, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of the State of Minnesota, the Minnesota Historical Society, or the Minnesota Historic Resources Advisory Committee.

Print

Short and Sweet: Zieve’s Fruit Nectar

2018.0520.277.JPG

Image from HHM Collections

Many of us grew up drinking Tang or Kool-Aid. At the beginning of the twentieth century, Hennepin County residents relied on The Zieve Nectar Company for fruit-flavored drinks that could be made at home. This Zieve’s Fruit Nectar packaging in the Museum’s collection, which includes a four-ounce glass bottle and box, dates to 1925. The company was founded in downtown Minneapolis in 1904 as Twin City Chemical Company. They originally manufactured pharmaceuticals, but this fruit extract concoction proved to be their most successful product. By 1915 they had changed their name to Zieve’s Fruit Nectar Company. 

Advertisements for the product ran in local newspapers from 1912 to 1932. With an aggressive marketing campaign and clever slogans, the product enjoyed moderate success. According to the company, the compound was extracted from pure fruit juice and concentrated using a special process, which made it free from artificial ingredients and coloring. The company would develop fourteen flavors, including wild cherry as seen above. One four-ounce bottle like this would produce three gallons of the fruit beverage. The company boasted that this made each glass cost half a cent. 

Unfortunately, it is unclear what exactly happened to the company after their last advertisement appeared in the Minneapolis Star in July of 1932. For whatever reason, the company went out of business and the product disappeared. Today, bottles like this are rare. The slogan used by the company for their final advertisement read “Who can resist the zest of Zieves?” The answer is, evidently, everyone. 

 

Written by Alyssa Thiede 

Sources:

“A Real Fruit Nectar.” Northwestern Druggist Volume 16, (August 1915): 97. 

http://startribune.newspapers.com/image/187272759 

http://startribune.newspapers.com/image/181447883 

http://startribune.newspapers.com/image/178851050 

http://startribune.newspapers.com/image/186806305

 

This publication was made possible in part by the people of Minnesota through a grant funded by an appropriation to the Minnesota Historical Society from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund. Any views, findings, opinions, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of the State of Minnesota, the Minnesota Historical Society, or the Minnesota Historic Resources Advisory Committee.

Print

The Spirit of an Entrepreneur: Wilbur David Dover

Dave Dover sm

Image from HHM Archives

Wilbur David “Dave” Dover was born on March 4, 1914 in New York. He was the eldest child of George and Fanny (Weintraub) both first generation immigrants to the United States. George was an Englishman, born in London, who worked as an electrician in Manhattan. Fanny, was a German Jew who had immigrated to America in 1907, at the age of 13, by herself. Fanny raised her children Jewish and the family acquired a set of silver and brass menorahs, from Israel, which have now found their home in the collection at the Hennepin History Museum.  

2019.0114.002

Image from HHM Collections

The Dover family relocated to Minnesota in the mid-1920s, buying a home in Robbinsdale, just northwest of Minneapolis. George took up work as a taxi cab driver, while Fanny worked as a clerk at a local grocery store. Together they raised their four sons and went from the new family in town to respected members of the growing community. Inspired by his father’s hard work and long hours, Dave set out to start the first taxi cab company in Crystal. He founded Flash Cabs, in 1948, and later established the Robbinsdale Yellow Cab Company. In addition, he went on the open the Beltline Diner, in Crystal, and become the city’s first Constable.  

An article in the Star Tribune, dated November 7, 1946, tells the tale of an action-packed night in Dave’s lifeHe was visiting his friend’s home when the water pump in the basement caught fire due to an electrical malfunction. Dave immediately jumped into action to help put out the fire and saved the home. With one blaze under control, Dave returned to his cab stand, only to have an oil stove explode 15 minutes later! Thankfully, he escaped unharmed, but most of the building was destroyed and had to be rebuilt. Ironically, following this eventful evening, Dave became a volunteer firefighter in his community, just another skill for this jack-of-all-trades.  

Perhaps the most notable position in Dover’s career was his service as Deputy Sheriff of Minneapolis, under Ed Ryan. Ryan was a political ally of Hubert Humphrey and together the men ran for Sheriff and Mayor, respectively; both being successfully elected in 1946. The goal of Humphrey, Ryan, and his deputies was to clean up the crime-ridden streets of downtown Minneapolis. The group notoriously built a reputation for cracking down on corruption and organized crime that was prevalent at the time. As Deputy Sheriff, Dave Dover worked alongside these two men and helped build Minneapolis into the thriving city it is today.  

Dave Dover 01

Image from HHM Archives

 

Author: Ashley Fischer is the Undertold Stories Intern at Hennepin History Museum. She is earning a bachelor’s degree in English and History from the University of Minnesota, with a focus on literary criticism and 19th century American history. 

Citations:
Romskog, Anna. “Ed Ryan.” The Historyapolis Project. December 17, 2014. Accessed April 17, 2019. http://historyapolis.com/blog/tag/ed-ryan/. 

“Taxi Operator Busy as Fireman.” Minneapolis Star Tribune, November 7, 1946. Accessed April 17, 2019. https://www.newspapers.com/image/182521906/?terms=wilbur dover.